9.10.2012

Reading Is A Real Help


Hi guys!

I don't know if you often read advices from published authors (indie authors and traditional authors) but there's often one thing that comes back each and every time. READ.

Before I didn't understand this. I mean, I'm an eager reader and can't stay away from a novel even if my life was at stake, but I couldn't see how it could help somebody in the crazy adventure of writing a book. But now I understand.

Granted, I'm not sure to ever be able to publish anything, but I do write and I'm facing hard times like everybody who wants to write. One days, words are flowing and it's just AWESOME. Other days, not so much.

Let's take yesterday. I painfully wrote 500 words. 500 words! It's ridiculous and it was really hard just to write one simple sentence. I was angry at myself and decided to just pick a book and read to change my mind. And today, just like that, after I read a heartbreaking and bittersweet novel I wrote 1000 words in no time.

In fact, reading helps me to remember why I want so much to write and why I need it. It's a roller coaster and that's probably why I like it so much. Reading makes me dream, makes me want to share stories with other people.

But reading is also a tool to understand what works and doesn't work in a novel. How can we expect to write something just like that without research on the genre you decide to write or the age you're targetting? I don't think it's possible.

So, yes sometimes it's good to take a step away from your computer and just read a good book. Then, this urge to ''see'' your characters is there once again and you won't budge from your screen.

If you're having a hard time with your writing, share it with me. We can probably bitch together. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment